Wednesday, July 16, 2008

economics and imperialism

It seems that every time Asia is quiet, there is something that lurks beneath the surface.
Once again, it's Japan that is agitating the neighbors by making claims on lands that they claimed were annexed in 1905, at the golden age of Japanese imperialism, and at the worst possible time in the history of Korea.

The territory at issue is Dokdo, which is comprised of two islets in the East Sea. Coincidentally, Japan only seems to bring up this issue when anti-US sentiment in Korea runs high (early 2005 at the height of the stand off between the US and North Korea's nuclear program) and now (the mad cow disease and American beef import case). I think it's too much to call it a coincidence, but somewhere, some Japanese game theorist must be urging the Japanese government to do this now because it's their best strategy to play. Granted that Koreans tend to overreact on issues, but Japan seems to be up to its old tricks that might garner support from the US just on the basis of economic (and military strategic) partnership, but draw the ire of its neighbors in Korea and sometimes in China.

All I have to say about Japan is that it abides by the children's property rules when it comes to territory in Asia. Those are:

  1. If I like it, it's mine.
  2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
  3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
  4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
  5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
  6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
  7. If it looks just like mine, it is mine.
  8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
  9. If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
  10. If it's broken, it's yours!


To me, this is how they feel about Dokdo. I think a good strategy would be for Korea to also make claims on Japanese land in retaliation. I hear that Okinawa is nice... why not make a claim for it too?

It's time for Japan to grow up. Funny how anything that ever happens is never Japan's fault (Even to the point of demanding an apology from the US for the atomic bombings at the conclusion of World War II.) Hey Japan: How about apologizing for the way you degraded and used Korean women against their will during World War II and ruined their lives?

If anything, this is also beneficial for Korea, because it seems to have unified the country that seemed bitterly divided just 3 weeks ago.

No comments: